Re: [LUG] email etiquette (was OpenSuse 10.2)

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:02:55 +0100 (BST)
trewornan <trewornan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of these rules are pretty much common sense but
> some do seem a bit anal. Some people really need to
> chill out once in a while.

These aren't absolute rules, these are advice.

> Plus, I don't see why I should follow a particular set
> of "rules" simply because some random individual
> thinks I should

The set has developed from the various discussions and contributions of
a variety of people over the life of this list and many others. This
isn't the obsession of one person, it is the collected advice of many.

> > 1. Do not top-post.
>
> Never entirely agreed with that one - sometimes it
> makes more sense (or is just easier).

A. because it breaks the flow of the answer
Q. Why not top-post?

If top-posting makes sense, you should probably be starting a new
thread because it is thereby obvious that your contribution does not
contain anything of particular relevance to the prior content.

> > 3. Do not send HTML.
>
> Doesn't necessarily apply universally but as a general
> rule I tend to agree.

It's been a guideline for this list and many other GNU/Linux lists for
a LONG time - HTML is unnecessary, it clogs up the archive and then
there is the problem of Javascript in HTML email and 'masking'. Plain
text email will always render a link exactly as it looks so that people
know where the link will lead. HTML links are good for webpages but
have become a typical method of phishing attack in email. The worst
thing with HTML - as far as a list is concerned - is that replies
become completely mangled once a text email has a HTML reply and then a
plain text reply to the composite.

> > 6. Use a real name, not a nickname in your email
> > client configuration
> > (one or two may need to take heed of that one).
>
> If I (or anyone else) feel more comfortable not
> publicly posting under their own name why should they
> feel obliged to?
>
> Mark

Nicnames are difficult for newbies to track - new members wouldn't know
how to address you, it makes it hard to identify people against other
records etc. It is also about accountability - anyone can change a
nicname without so much as a notice but if people use their real name
it helps bridge the divide from the real world to the virtual world.
GnuPG is encouraged to provide some infrastructure for relating online
personae to real world people and using a real name helps with that
process. It is simply easier for everyone to be known by their real
names - it makes recognition easier at meetings too. That's another
reason why I would encourage any DCGLUG member to send me a small photo
- as described on your Members Register page - so that other members
can recognise you at meetings. We could use badges but this method is
easier and doesn't rely on someone having to arrange badges for every
meeting.

--

Neil Williams