Re: [LUG] Ubuntu, Kubuntu which to start with ?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:53:49 +0100
Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe there are some packages that won't run outside their
> preferred environment, but I've yet to encounter one.  Mainly due to
> lack of trying to find one, probably.   :-)

Konqueror and Nautilus will require so many libraries that it is
usually simpler to install the entire environment but you can run
either in either environment. Each is usually slower in the alternate
environment.

gnome-panel and the KDE equivalent and other specific packages within
each desktop (the bare desktop that you see with no applications
running) will tend to get confused if they are mixed.

Other candidates would be (unsurprisingly) other desktop environments
like enlightenment etc.

Apart from those, nearly all applications will work in any environment -
as long as all their dependencies have been installed.

If you have enough discspace, just install both and add enlightenment
and a few others if you like. That's the GNU/Linux way - a usable
default but a complete selection of packages that the user can choose
to use instead.

--

Neil Williams