Re: [LUG] Recovering documents from firefox

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:07:39 +0100
"Jonathan Roberts" <jonathan.roberts.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, this is going to sound a strange request but...my brother
> downloaded a piece of work but used "open with" rather than save to
> disk and then just clicked "save" rather than "save as" presumably
> just writing over the tmp file from the browser. Is there anyway I can
> get this back?

If he has rebooted, probably not. Otherwise, whatever application he
used to save the file may have a recent files list. You say "open with"
but that usually means open with something other than firefox - exactly
what did he open?

Why can't the original file be downloaded again?

The best solution here is always wget - you know where you are because
it is designed just to download stuff. Dump the GUI and use a tool that
is designed for the task.

--

Neil Williams