Re: [LUG] Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released

David Johnson wrote:

> Has anybody done an upgrade from Sarge to Etch yet? Any gotchas (particularly
> relating to Apache, MySQL or Postfix)?

Not since this one, which was pre-release of Etch.

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/simonw/weblog/146

Which covered Apache, Postfix, MySQL (some minor), and some other bits.

I've included estimated downtime, and how I could have reduced this on a
more critical server (the Exeter Chess club website doesn't really need
100% uptime, although it would be nice).

Whilst some issues may have been addressed, I'd assume for planning
purposes they'll all affect you (and more), till you've tested otherwise.

Also I'm not clear where the split of php.ini into separate files occurs
in Debian's life span, but it might be "smart", to purge php (especially
4), then do a clean install of PHP5 after the upgrade. To avoid various
cosmetic issues with the layout of the php.ini files. I'll blog that
when I've documented it properly, and if needed filed the relevant bug
reports, but it is documented in my the appropriate README file, which
is great once you've hit the issue, so I guess it may well end up as a
"won't fix" issue. As I said cosmetic - but purging might avoid the
php.ini bit rot due to upgrades.

> Trying to work up the courage to dist-upgrade my production server...

Not courage I need, but time.

 Simon