Re: [LUG] Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 released

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:01:00 +0100
Peter Lloyd-Jones <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Has anybody done an upgrade from Sarge to Etch yet? Any gotchas
> > (particularly relating to Apache, MySQL or Postfix)?
>
> Hi
>
> Yes but problems with networking.  Really Weird.  Moved my backups
> and stuff from my backup computer to this (Ubuntu) .  Installed
> Debian.  Dragged and dropped my stuff back onto my Debian machine.

How did you setup the networking on the Debian install? By default the
installer looks for a DHCP setup which means your IP address can change
from time to time. That would upset shared connections. DHCP can be
useful for laptops but most fixed desktop boxes are better off (IMHO)
with static IP addresses. Windows likes using DHCP for everything but
GNU/Linux makes it easy to run servers of various kinds on all kinds of
boxes and services are a lot easier if the IP address of the box
doesn't change.

> Looked at some of the pictures even.  Closed the windows.  Decided to
> move some more stuff across and the connection has gone.  I can see
> the computer, but when I "open" it the shared directory is not there
> (Nothing is there).

Is this an NFS share?

> I also notice that the stuff that is called "system" in Ubuntu is
> called "Desktop" in Debian, which seems strange.

You mean in the gnome-panel menus? (Applications|Places|Desktop). That
would be because the Preferences menu in Desktop is all about per-user
(per-desktop) settings, not system-wide settings.

Look into Desktop|Administration|Networking for a GUI way to setup IP
addresses or use edit /etc/network/interfaces (either as root or using
sudo).

--

Neil Williams