Re: [LUG] mini - LInux beer hike - Torbay 2007

Mark Jose wrote:
> On Sunday 08 April 2007 11:07, Clare Shepherd wrote:
>
>> Paul wrote:
>> To this end I have added their irc channel to the my xchat join list
>> pending fixing,  I will sign up to the mailing list for the
>> linuxbierwanderung. (which from now on will be refered to as LBW)  in
>> general .
>>
>> This is the second reference to irc today (Tom mentioned it to) What is
>> it? Sorry to be such a newbie, but then I am.
>> Clare
>>

> internet relay chat.
> Basically, its a chatroom - usually on a specific topic, such as the dclug one
> or a Linux distro etc.  To access the irc rooms, you need a program such as
> Xchat or Konversation etc. Depending on your distro, you should have a number
> of different options to use as the chat client (program).
> It is a little odd to use at first - but works well once you get used to it.
> Doubtless someone will explain in a bit more depth, but if not, I am happy to
> walk you through logging on to an irc room if it will help.
>
> Mark

xchat.org seems to be down at the moment.  Xchat should be listed in
whatever package manager you use though, so hopefully the mirrors will
have what you need, and the site being down won't be an issue.

Incidentally, XChat is available for Windows *and* Linux so if you use
both you can share settings and use a common interface.

Kind regards,

Julian