Re: [LUG] Digitopia Torbay 2007 update

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:54:48 +0100
Tom Brough <tombrough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unfortunately the project has suffered a setback, having decided to
> create a local mirror to speed up package selection and
> configuration, typically sid seems to now be broken (some problem
> with python2.4 and dependants).  Going back to  fetching it remotely
> seems to  create the same problem so I am pretty sure its not me (but
> not 100% certain), its what you get for using unstable. I may switch
> to etch who knows.

See #418108

You need:
Source: python-central
Source-Version: 0.5.13-0.1

As soon as that .1 package reaches a mirror near you, the problem will
be fixed. There has been extraordinary activity around this one-line
bug and it morphed into about 9 separate reports, breaking almost every
python upgrade (and therefore everything that depends on python, like
Gnome) in the process.

Strangely, my amd64 box was unaffected - my powerpc box was felled.

These are just the packages on one of my boxes that would not upgrade
due to this bug:
  apt-listchanges* dia* dia-common* dia-gnome* galternatives* gedit*
gnome-applets* gnome-control-center* gnome-menus* gnome-panel*
gnome-session* gnome-terminal* hal-device-manager*
libapache2-mod-python* mini-dinstall* nautilus* nautilus-cd-burner*
openoffice.org-writer* python-apt* python-cairo* python-central*
python-glade2* python-gmenu* python-gnome2* python-gnome2-desktop*
python-gnome2-extras* python-gtk2* python-numeric* python-pysqlite2*
python-qt3* python-sip4* python-svn* python-uno* reportbug*
reportbug-ng* rhythmbox* trac* wifi-radar*

Obvious problems there are nautilus, gnome-terminal, gnome-panel,
gedit, gnome-control-center and, umm, reportbug. Oops!

Ne'er mind, it's fixed - just waiting for the fix to spread across the
various mirrors now.

It's in the nature of Debian unstable - sometimes these things happen
but something of this scale is unusual (and probably only happened
because of a sense of urgency about the Etch release). When
Debian unstable breaks like this, it usually isn't long before it's
fixed, after all, most Debian Developers are running Debian unstable so
when that breaks everyone notices!

--

Neil Williams