Re: [LUG] Microsoft petitioning to make XML Office format a standard...

Rob Beard wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/04/microsoft_office_standards_petition/
>
> Quote from The Register:
>
> "Microsoft is calling on the Great British public to join its campaign
> to get the XML Office format adopted as an international standard.
>
> The company has launched an online petition
> <http://www.microsoft.co.uk/openxml/> encouraging the British Standards
> Institute (BSI) to vote for ratification of the Open XML Format, used in
> Office 2007, 2003 and XP, as an official ISO standard. The BSI is an ISO
> member."
>
> Thing is, there is already a standard isn't there.  The Open Document
> Format.  Typical Microsoft, if they can't have their way they don't like
> it.  Surely it would be easier for MS to just incorporate ODF
> compatibility into MS Office?
>
> Rob

Interesting as the following site
http://www.oasis-open.org/home/index.php has a list of sponsor members,
of which Microsoft is one of them.  anyway have put a site banner on my
own site linking to them,  perhaps other members can do the same or
perhaps have a link on the lug site,  pointing people to wards that.

How about a petition section page on the lug site wiki,  given there are
nearly 200 members,  on the list,  thats a lot of names, that way if we
collect names for issues such as this,  then one person writes to for
example the BSI or a specific company and just links to the names,  or
is this not as effective as all of us writing to that company on a
specific issue.

Paul

--

Next meet - thursday 12th April 2007, Paignton Rugby club, 19:00 - 22:30

http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.linux.org

CHAT SERVICES

http://www.serfer.co.uk - http://cgi.serfer.co.uk/ type #serfer then press login.
PRFC CHAT ROOM - http://www.zleap.net/cgi-bin/irc.cgi

Saturday 21st April 2007 - Devon Cup final - Paignton vs Torquay at Queens Park,
Paignton, 3pm kick off.