Re: [LUG] Plus ca change, plus ca meme chose!

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 19:46:47 +0100
"Philip Whateley" <philip.whateley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oooops
>
> Came across this yesterday:
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3993153601.html
>
> Phil Whateley

Please, everyone, if you post a link to a story, at least have the
courtesy to quote something of the summary of the article so that
people can choose whether to follow the link.

The link above relates to:
The "ANI" (Animated Cursor Image format) Windows vulnerability.

> "The analysis of the bug and its history speak badly of Microsoft's
> efforts in many ways: The company's patching practices came up short,
> its security protection technologies came up short, and its code
> analysis was shoddy. There are many reasons why this should never
> have happened, and now we should all be upset about it."

That is why all bug reports for all operating systems should be public.

> This is from a strong Windows supporter.
>
> I'm just going to point one more thing. Microsoft's biggest, most
> important, claim about Vista, at its launch, was that it had greatly
> improved security. Why then does Vista have a major security hole
> that's been in Windows since the 1990s?

Now Debian does have bugs that are over 2 years old, some over 5 years
old but these aren't security bugs!

Windows is poor code because the source code doesn't get put in front
of enough people. Peer review WORKS. MS employees are too close to the
code, they sometimes can't see the wood for the trees and that is
perfectly understandable. If third party software developers (like the
people writing all these bespoke Windows applications that get turned
into excuses not to migrate to free software) actually had full access
to the Windows source code in an open and collaborative forum, all code
in Windows would improve. The problem is now, the Windows source code
is in such a bad state that MS dare not release the source code for
fear of 1) being laughed out of the market and 2) creating a gazillion
security exploits overnight.

Ponder this: we only know about the security bugs in Windows that have
been found - if a security bug can persist for over a decade and
through all versions of Windows in that time, how many more are out
there? It's not as if this was hidden away in some underused Windows
versions like WinME or WinCE, it affects every recent and current
version and because MS refuse to make Windows with IE, it affects
every Windows box. Monopolies are bad for security, bad for users and
bad for reliability.

--

Neil Williams