Re: [LUG] Remote desktop

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Hopefully this is easy
>
> I want a remote desktop of my system, but i want my *actual* desktop
> as is logged in now on my home system, i don't want another x-session
> via NX, VNC etc (this works very well but not  for what i need this
> time).
>
> Can i do a remote desktop in this fashion so if i move the mouse here
> someone sitting at the screen will see it move etc. Maybe i just
> missed this in the documentation for NX or VNC or even remote
> x-sessions but i can only see ways of starting new sessions and
> exporting those remotley.
>
> The only limitation i have is that i have win xp at my work end but i
> can whack cygwin-x on if i need a full x server or any other tools
> like that.
>
> Thanks

I'm not entirely sure on how to set it up with regards to altering
config files, but I'm using the Gnome Remote Desktop at the moment to
connect into my PC and my dad's PC over the internet.  It uses the VNC
protocol and it works like VNC does on Windows where you control the
desktop that is displayed on the monitor.  If you're running Ubuntu (or
I guess any distro with Gnome) go to the System Menu, select Preferences
and then Remote Desktop.  Under sharing tick "Allow others to view your
desktop" and "Allow others to control your desktop".  I have also set a
password on my PC and unticked the option to ask for confirmation.

What I would love to know though is how to tunnel the VNC session over
SSH.  At the moment I'm connecting into my dad's PC over the internet
with no real security.  The password is being sent as clear text which
is a bit of a security risk (as a temporary measure I have set it to ask
him to allow access and not to allow access unless I tell him that it is
me connecting in).

Rob