[LUG] LVS iptables, Sticky sessions

Hi All

I won't be able to make the April meeting which is a shame as I do look
forward to having a chat to other Linux users.

How are the workshop days and meetings etc funded?

Has anyone rolled out a LVS server using ipvsadm, heartbeat, arptables and
iptables?

The problem

At work we have 3 .NET web servers which LVS round robins connections and
works fine and shows equal users on them.

The application has a 30min session timeout, But LVS losses the session
after 5 mins of non activity. This then breaks session and in most cases
point user to another server and makes them re login I think it could be
.NET cookie transaction string problem.

So I am trying to use iptables and marking packets to try and make a
sessions remain the 30mins through ipvsadm.

I am going to try the L7 on Ultra Monkeys website tomorrow. I thought I
would run it by everyone to see if there was any other  good how to etc.

Does anyone know of an dummies guide,URL's or a good "how to" to iptables.

I would like to cover POSTROUTING,PREROUTING, MANGLE, NAT, INPUT, OUTPUT.
when to use what is what im after.

I have found the LARTC doc that Simon pointed me to very helpful but I can't
always picture a means of getting the result I want. It's most likely
because I have used microshaft windoze since 1984.

So when using "route", "ip", "iptables" and "ip rules" etc should I be
looking at these as different levels of apps or apps that have the same
powers. If so would route be at a higher level than iptables or does
iptables use say "route" or "ip" to create it's rules etc.

Regards

Sam