Re: [LUG] another waste of time for computers

On Friday 09 March 2007 15:54, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Friday 09 March 2007 12:28, james kilty wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:58 +0000, Tom Potts wrote:
> > > First we have MS office wasting PC time now this:
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/nol/newsid_6430000/news
> > >id _6432800?redirect=6432893.stm&news=1&nbwm=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1
> >
> > I tried. I seem to need real player. Kubuntu found it straight away
> > (10.5): First it said it was available, then when I clicked on "install"
> > it said unavailable. So I went to addons.mozilla (I am using Firefox)
> > and have ended with realplayer10Gold.bin on my desktop.
> >
> > What is the next step please? Is there a message I can send to the BBC?
> >
> > james kilty
> > http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk
>
> its something like:
> chmod +x realplayer10Gold.bin
> ./realplayer10Gold.bin
>
> I think that only makes it work for your user - not sure - long time since
> I done it
> Tom te tom te tom

Since you have Kubuntu, simply right clicking and selecting Properties will do
the trick. Under the Permissions tab, just tick the "Is Executable" box and
you can then launch it by clicking.
Basically, you are doing chmod +x as mentioned by Tom, but in a "user
friendly" way ;)

Mark