Re: [LUG] Vista from AUT Direct

Simon Waters wrote:

>>> Didn't they used to say that about linux (but s/Vista/linux)? It seems
>>> like M$ have gone backwards.
>>>
>> they call it "progress"
>>

> Sounds like progress to me.
>
> You can't advance computer systems, and make them forever backwardly
> compatible. Well you can try, but you'll be blown away by people with a
> more pragmatic approach to backward compatibility.
>
> So when you upgrade stuff, things break.

I've been running a sid (unstable) distro since Nov 2004 with daily
dist-upgrades.
This period also included a complete machine upgrade. The only major
breakage
I've had was during the intro of Xorg (which was soon fixed).

I don't have to wait for some company to get up off it's behind and
solve a problem
because there are many others like me actively involved in reporting
(alas that's me)
and fixing bugs. Sometimes I'm astonished at how quickly sid bugs are
fixed and
always astonished at sid's continued stability.

Debian sid by it's very nature is always bleeding edge so you don't have
to be
thrown off balance by having to grapple with an complete OS upgrade.
Apart from mission critical requirements to my mind an OS should always be
in a continuous state of evolution. It sure beats having to cope with
and pay for
major upgrades.

Keith