Re: [LUG] Transfering hard drives to a new machine.

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 00:31 +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 3/5/07, Ben Goodger <goodgerster@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         On 3/5/07, Darren Foster <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>                 Hi Folks,
>
>                 Got a Fedora Core 6 system that the motherboard and
>                 processor have both gone capput! Just wondered what
>                 the chances are of me taking the hard drive out and
>                 sticking it in a new machine and it working like a
>                 dream were?
>

>         Nearly 100% so long as you don't change architectures. :)
>
> Oh, and you need to ensure that your hard disks are in the same
> configuration, or else edit fstab diligently...
> A transfer of Ubuntu from my ancient system to my new one went
> swimmingly, I don't think it even noticed.
>

> --
> Ben Goodger
> #391382
>
> Mi admiras religiajn; ili estas fine ebliĝinta solvi la maljunegan
> demandon "kiel oni povas vivi sencerbe?".

I have just done this with a laptop / sub notebook. It worked with 2
different distros - kubuntu and Mandriva One 2007. I installed a drive
on a Toshiba and then put it in a Dialogue Flybook. Both distros worked
perfectly - I was most surprised and impressed. I am sure I couldn't
have done that with Windoze.

Viv