Re: [LUG] Java install was how to install - technical question

Robin Cornelius wrote:

> I though reading news a while a go that sun was gpling java, BUT the
> java packages are in the debian non-free repository, may be they are
> not fully GPL or did i just imagine this news?
>
> any way my /etc/apt/sources.list :-
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ unstable main main contrib non-free

SUN are still getting it all packaged and released under the GPL. It is
a LOT of material, including things like "Micro Edition", or whatever
their portable device thing is called these days. These things take
time, SUN have to check what they actually own (wouldn't want them doing
a SCO, and sending stuff out under the GPL when they didn't mean to -
hehehe).

As such Debian Etch won't have GPLed Java components in at release, and
so will only ship with stuff that can use the current free software Java
environments. Although there may be stuff in "contrib" (can rely on
non-free) or "non-free" (Not officially part of Debian).

The non-free Java packages in Debian download the programs from the SUN
website and build ".deb" files with the relevant software in. So if
SUN's word is good enough for you (it was for me in the past), or you
don't care about software freedom it is easy enough to build debs.

The original question was Java for the Opera browser, which would
require a browser plug-in - possibly the Mozilla JRE plug-in, I'm not
sure what browser plug-in formats Opera uses.

These plug-ins are more than just "java" or a "java runtime
environment", the plug-in needs to have a "security manager", this is
the software that prevents Java applets from doing the things Java
Applications can do, like stealing all your files. (The security manager
is what distinguishes Java Applets from ActiveX controls; simply put -
one has security, one doesn't). Similarly the plug-in allows it to
display the Java applet results within the browser Windows/Environment.

Some of the free software JRE implementations initially shipped without
security managers for Applets, I wouldn't recommend installing them
except for further software development.

Although often the browser plug-ins are bundled in the Java Runtime
Environment package for a platform. I believe this is true of the
Mozilla and IE plugins for Windows, and Linux.

As such the question is not "how do I install Java", but how to install
a Java plug-in for Opera, which I'm afraid I know nothing about.

Similarly the answers for Ubuntu and Debian will be subtly different,
and newbies probably don't want to learn figure out how to do it from
one, and not the other. Since no one said "this is what to do", I'd
suggest the original poster ask at the Ubuntu forums.