Re: [LUG] Opera and Java

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I am using Kubuntu Edgy. Yesterday I decided to install Opera browser,
> which I have used in the past when I was running mandrake/mandriva.
>
> It was very easy. In the opera website I downloaded the relevant file,
> as the site had already recognised that I was using Edgy. This download
> was very quick. I right-clicked on the new file and ran Kubuntu package
> menu --> Install package. This took literally just a few seconds. Then,
> on the desktop I looked in the K Menu --> Internet and there was Opera
> Browser waiting for me. It works a treat.
>
> But there is one problem, I can't run java. I have Sun java installed
> and it runs OK with Firefox, so I know it is set up properly. I need to
> tell Opera where to find java and I am not sure what to tell it.
>
> I have tried whereis java and I get several answers eg
> /usr/bin/java, /usr/share/java among others. Can anyone tell me the
> correct one please?
>
> By the way, if anyone hasn't tried Opera, IMO it is worth a look.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

You need to give opera the location of the directory where java is
actually installed, rather than a symlink to it. To find this, if you
type " ls -l /usr/bin/java " at a command prompt, it will give you the
target location for that link. On my system it gives me
/etc/alternatives/java. This is another symlink, so if you now type ls
-l /etc/alternatives/java, you should get the answer you need. On my
system, this is /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java.

Alternatively, you can get the same information by typing dpkg -L
sun-java5-jre or using adept.

Hope this helps,

Sam