Re: [LUG] Naming a device with udev

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:55:51PM +0000, James Wonnacott wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:
> > On 2/27/07, James Wonnacott <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I'm trying to give a friendly name to my interfaces.
> >>
> >> I've googled on the subject and found various udev rule samples, none of
> >> which seem to work.
> >>

> > Have you considered ifrename, i think it does what you want here.
> >
> > I don't think eth0 is a udev thing thats set by the linux network
> > layer not the lower device/sysfs layer.

As far as I know, udev can change the names like any other devices.

> if I download the file and try to install it apt says it conflicts with
> udev.
>
> Should I remove udev?

You probably can't, unless you compile your own kernel, since Debian
(and probably Ubuntu) kernels depend on udev - indirectly, at least.

From /usr/share/doc/udev/README.Debian.gz:

"The persistent names of network interfaces by default are automatically
written to /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules .
Users can add their own rules there or at any other place before z45.
Generation of rules for persistent names can be disabled by removing
the z45_persistent-net-generator.rules symlink."

The order of rules in udev matters; if you just add them at the end of
the directory (or otherwise without taking care to name it so it's in
the right order) your rules may never get read.

        bma (who thinks freebsd's devfs is much nicer anyway...)