Re: [LUG] Naming a device with udev

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 2/27/07, James Wonnacott <jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm trying to give a friendly name to my interfaces.
>>
>> I've googled on the subject and found various udev rule samples, none of
>> which seem to work.
>>

> Have you considered ifrename, i think it does what you want here.
>
> I don't think eth0 is a udev thing thats set by the linux network
> layer not the lower device/sysfs layer.

Looks good, lets try it :-)

j1@j1-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install ifrename
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package ifrename is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
   udev
E: Package ifrename has no installation candidate
j1@j1-laptop:~$

if I download the file and try to install it apt says it conflicts with
udev.

Should I remove udev?