Re: [LUG] Ubuntu is trying to delete itself, because of vim

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 08:14:46PM +0000, Greg Dash wrote:
> I updated Vim from these packages
> http://www.freshnet.org/debian/dapper/vim7/ installed the packages and
> ubuntu's update popped up and said that a package is broken, I fired
> up synaptic and clicked "Fix Broken Packages" and then "Apply" it
> wanted to remove some packages these were "Ubuntu-base",
> "ubuntu-minimal" and vim, Vim makes sense but ubuntu-base and minimal
> don't. Anyone able to help me with my problem.

Does ubuntu-{base,minimal} depend on Vim? If so, that'd explain it; try
to downgrade Vim instead of removing it entirely. That may require some
fiddling, though, to get the appropriate version; off the top of my
head, I'm not really certain how to do it under synaptic (in aptitude,
it's likely that several versions of the package will be listed, one
from the base repo and one from security repos etc.).

Personally, I'd happily remove Ubuntu if it meant I could keep Vim...

        bma