Re: [LUG] more x problems

paul sutton wrote:
>   Ok
>
> I have worked out that typing
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg helps me reconfigure the xserver, it would
> really help if I entered this wrong something could actually help me
> rather than coming up with a error or message that is unhelpful
>
> anyway have now reconfigured the server, but I just get a black screen
> when I start it up,  for some reason its gone back to init 5 and  I
> can't see a console,  I can't do ctrl-alt-backspace (won't work), i can
> reboot, eventually,  or just hit reset
>
> i have booted knoppix but that mounts /dev/hda7 (where debian sid is
> installd to),  I want to try and delete the xorg.conf file using knoppix
> but can't cos its read only,
>
> can anyone help with this please.
>
> I can then try again and spend another few hours struggling toget it
> working again,  I will give up on compiz it won't work,  and yes I have
> read that web site article thing and it still won't work,  I tried to
> insatall beryl,  but that won't even install as apt-get says it does not
> exist,
>
> I Need it working again
>
> Paul
>

>>> my card is ab geforce 4 mx 4000 I tried the latest nvidia driver package as that
>>> does not work,  I need to use an older, one,  so I am trying to just get x back
>>> at the moment.
>>>

> Paul

Beryl isn't in the official Debian repositories as it's still in
developement. But you can
try these which should be compatible with Kanotix:-

relatively-stable
deb
http://download.tuxfamily.org/myberyl/shame/debian-sid/beryl-svn/relatively-stable/
./

unstable-daily
deb
http://download.tuxfamily.org/myberyl/shame/debian-sid/beryl-svn/unstable-daily/
./

As I said all this Beryl/Compiz stuff is pretty dodgy at present. Not
all Nvidia drivers
work with it and ATI drivers are even worse. The situation is improving
day by day
but unless you know what you're doing leave it alone for the time being.
I have!

Some have had a great deal of success with Beryl/Compiz but I note that
it seems
to have disappeared from the latest Ubuntu distro. There's probably a
good reason
given the amount of work put into Beryl/Compiz by a large number of
Ubuntu users.
If even they can't make it stable enough for out-of-the-box Windows
converts there is
still a lot of work to be done.

Keith