[LUG] more x problems

  Ok

I have worked out that typing

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg helps me reconfigure the xserver, it would
really help if I entered this wrong something could actually help me
rather than coming up with a error or message that is unhelpful

anyway have now reconfigured the server, but I just get a black screen
when I start it up,  for some reason its gone back to init 5 and  I
can't see a console,  I can't do ctrl-alt-backspace (won't work), i can
reboot, eventually,  or just hit reset

i have booted knoppix but that mounts /dev/hda7 (where debian sid is
installd to),  I want to try and delete the xorg.conf file using knoppix
but can't cos its read only,

can anyone help with this please.

I can then try again and spend another few hours struggling toget it
working again,  I will give up on compiz it won't work,  and yes I have
read that web site article thing and it still won't work,  I tried to
insatall beryl,  but that won't even install as apt-get says it does not
exist,

I Need it working again

Paul

>>my card is ab geforce 4 mx 4000 I tried the latest nvidia driver package as that
>>does not work,  I need to use an older, one,  so I am trying to just get x back at
>>the moment.

Paul