Re: [LUG] Epsom RX640 printer

On 2/13/07, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robin Menneer wrote:

> I followed the clear and easy
> instructions in ubuntu for setting up a printer.  Ubuntu found epson
> RX600  and I went on to print an OO file.

A quick Google suggests that the RX600 is not like the RX640, nor is the
RX640 like the Stylus 640. The Ubuntu forums have a lot of people
printing blank pages.

I made the same mistake with HP Laserjet, thinking the model name might
mean something about how it works. This is so not the case with modern
consumer goods, indeed with TVs and Videos, the brand name tells you
only who paid to have their name on the outside of the packaging.

At "openprinting.org" they recommend the gimp-print plug-in for this
printer.

Package "gimp-print" on Debian

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Photo_RX640

You can try printing directly from the GIMP, if this works, you can set
up a printer as you did for the RX600, but using "gimp print" as the
printer driver, and try again.

Might be worth checking the Epson website as well!

When it works, blog about it, or update the OpenPrinting Wiki.

Thank you for the help.  The printer is exactly *epson stylus photo RX 640*.  I have had a look at the Gimp reference and understood about one-third of it.  Will have another go tomorrow and report progress or otherwise .