[LUG] Epsom RX640 printer

I'm having a problem with my new printer, epson RX640.  It works perfectly well (so far) with the mac mini following installing a lot of programs from the epsom driving CD rom.  Wanting to keep things simpler with my 386 laptop PC running ubuntu, I followed the clear and easy instructions in ubuntu for setting up a printer.  Ubuntu found epson RX600  and I went on to print an OO file.  All the usual menus came ok and I was told it was printing.  All the printer did was to feed paper through itself, unmarked, carrying on until I had to switch off the printer to stop it.  I don't want to load the epson disc on to the 386 as I am running short of memory, there wasn't much there in the first place some 6 or so years ago.  Ububtu seems to know all about it but doesn't deliver the right message to the printer.  Help will be much appreciated but please keep it simple and thickie-proof.