Re: [LUG] Massive initrd

Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>> Is there any way of comparing the contents of the image? (i.e. is the
>> cause new files being added or the usual files of a larger size).
>
> I think you have to unpack them to temporary directories, and do a "diff
> -r --brief" or similar. They are just gzipped, cpio archives...
>
> mkdir /tmp/init1
> cd /tmp/init1
> cat /boot/initrd.version | gunzip - | cpio -i

Sounds like a plan. I can only assume that *all* kernel modules are
making it into the initrd for some reason?

I almost have the kernel booting without an initrd now, just a few more
drivers to find. My laptop is fainfully slow and a kernel build with
modules is about 5 hours work :-(

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk