[LUG] Sub Notebook without CD / DVD Drive

I have a small problem - well, it's a very small laptop anyway. I'd like
to pick your brains about it, if I may.

I have been given a very small Windows laptop - a Dialogue. It has no
CD/ DVD drive and I really want to install Linux on it - ideally Kubuntu
6.10.

I have messed about with a pen drive and have managed to install Puppy
Linux on it. I have an idea for upgrading it to the Distro I want - that
is not too difficult (in fact, really easy if I am going to be able to
do it).

I also have an external CD / DVD drive but, unfortunately, the Dialogue
won't boot it. However, Puppy can access it when flying.

My idea is this :

1) Boot Puppy up on the pen drive

2) Use GParted to create 2 new partitions - 1 small and 1 larger.

3) Copy all the Kubuntu live CD files to the smaller partition - we'll
call that the 'Install' partition

4) Edit the Grub menu.lst file to include an entry for the 'Install
Partition'

5) Reboot and boot the 'Install' partition - my theory is that this will
then work the same as the live CD and boot Kubuntu

6) Then install Kubuntu to the larger new partition and keep Puppy on
it's own existing partition as a multiboot option

I wanted to know is if this is a completely rubbish idea and won't work.
Also, if any of you had any better ones ?

Thanks

Viv

P.S. Please don't suggest anything complicated - another alternative is
that I offer this up as a paid job to any of you that are interested -
and I would be only too happy to do this if it gets it working.

I want to be able to take it into work when finished and show my boss as
I don't think he realised how good Linux is.