[LUG] using Shields Up

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:55 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:

go to www.grc.com , run the 'Shields Up' tests

Thanks for the reminder.

I did this with my Kububtu machine. I got the message

"Without your knowledge or explicit permission, the Windows networking
technology which connects your computer to the Internet may be offering
some or all of your computer's data to the entire world at this very
moment!"

I tested file sharing, common and all service ports and all were passed:

"All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED.
(This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.)" etc (all
ports were in stealth mode).

Am I missing something? Even though my wife's Windows XP laptop was on
(and another Linux desktop) it seems to have passed all the tests, given
my router (Draytek Vigor 2600) is set up as an effective firewall - yet
grc seems to think I may be vulnerable.

A friend is going to assist me with networking properly (I have
suggested he join the DCLUG)- so far all LAN connections are to the
router, but he recommends I dedicate a machine as a firewall behind it.
What say you? I have 2 (possibly 3) laptops and 3 desktops, one of which
could be set up as a firewall, another as a server for automatic
backups. Which would you recommend for a simple home network?

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk