Re: [LUG] [Fwd: Vista 'most secure ever' - Gates]

On 1/31/07, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> zleap wrote:
> > Ok next lug meet can someone can bring a windows vista box (if they have
> > one) along,  and a hub,  we can connect it to a bunch of Linux boxes adn
> > see if we can er hack into it,  or at least see what all the fuss is about,
> >
> > I am sure a bunch of computer linux / unix users can find some sort of
> > exploit,
> >
> > rules,   the box must be installed as is,  with out modification to the
> > security system,  and we can see if there are the usual open ports, or
> > something we can take advantage of,
> >
> You don't need a meeting for that.  Get a vanilla Vista box and go to
> www.grc.com , run the 'Shields Up' tests and that will tell you
> everything you need to know about open and closed ports.  Ideally
> Stealth ports where the machine itself can't even be detected are best.
> If ti can be seen by a hacker then chances are they will see it as a
> challenge, however if it can't even be seen there's no target for them
> to even try to get into.

Ok this tests for a firewall and/or open services but is only one
small area of problem that have been seen. Favorites are buffer
overflows which can be caused by jpeg images being displayed in a
browser through dodgy url's, activeX/ java scripting issues allowing
access to places. It is often these that are the real problem. Yes
there is the old port 139 (135?) problem of exposing SMB protocols to
the internet so anyone could just connect if you had shared folders
which the firewall helped from but it seems the firewall in many cases
is just protecting you from numerous bugs in open services.

I think it would be intresting to have a brand new vista box and then
wireshark all packets in and out and see how much phoning home is
going on etc.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk