Re: [LUG] Puppy Linux

On Thursday 25 January 2007 19:44, bjrus@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Brian Russ" <bjrus@xxxxxxxx>
>

> Having had a lot of difficulty setting up a dual-boot system, I have ended
> up with what a friend could provide - Puppy Linux. This is my first foray
> into Linux and hope to be able to ditch Microsoft in due course. Right now,
> my problem is that the Puppy modem wizard doesn't recognise my modem. Is
> there a work-around within Puppy or would I be better off replacing it with
> another Linux ? For someone with only dial-up internet access how might I
> get another Linux anyway ? Brian Russ
> --

First thing would be to mention the modem name/model if possible - if it is an
on-board one, then what drivers does the windows system use? That may give a
clue as to getting it working.
As has been mentioned, most internal modems are winmodems - i.e they rely on a
Windows specifc driver to allow the "modem" to use the CPU to deal with the
data coming into or out of the modem. A proper serial modem - generally that
means an external one - will work in both Windows and Linux - without using
any drivers. I would seriously recommend one of those - even if you are
sticking with Windows. A while back, I put an old 26.6k serial modem on a
machine and its upload/download speed was no different to the 56k internal
modem. Not only that, but a serial modem will make allowances for poor
signals - so you don't get those annoying random disconnects from time to
time!  They are fairly pricey, but it is a good investment. Mine was about
30 - 35 quid I think at the time, but I didn't regret the purchase, even
though I only used it for a few months before I finally got an adsl line.

It is likely that the winmodem can be made to work - most have Linux "drivers"
available but they can be fiddly to get working. I have had a variety running
in the past - intel 536ep, connexant , smartlink etc...

Mark