Re: [LUG] double extra vista ripof

Julian Hall wrote:
> Greg Dash wrote:
>
>> what's really annoying is that it'll sell...a lot!
>>
>> On 24/01/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> As further proof of Rip Off Britain.
>>>
>>> US Amazon Price of Retail Vista Ultimate = £195
>>> UK Amazon Price of Retail Vista Ultimate = £352
>>>
>>> So that makes hand building Linux computers as remunerative as being a plumber
>>> in London!
>>>

>>> from http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37140
>>>
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

> The Exchange Rate is currently near as damnit 2:1 in favour of the
> pound.  As long as the pound strengthens the situation will get worse.
> Also with the practise of just swapping £ signs for dollar signs the
> situation can only get worse.  Today's price is £190 for Vista in the
> US.  Amazon UK say it's not available yet, so I wonder where the
> Inquirer got their price from?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Thing is, how many people would go out and buy a copy?

 From what I understand on reading about Vista, the few people who
upgrade their PCs (motherboards, graphics cards etc) a few times a year
may well be affected by the OEM licensing but the every day user (whom I
guess we're trying to target with Linux) would probably NEVER open up
their PCs let alone change a motherboard.

 From what I have seen with regards to OEM pricing, it will not be far
off Windows XP Home for the Vista Home licence (although I'm not
entirely sure if this is Vista Home Basic or Vista Home Premium.

When I was working at Software Warehouse before they went under there
was only 1 person who bought a FULL boxed copy of Windows 2000 Pro
(where I mean FULL, I mean retail boxed copy for PCs without an existing
copy of Windows) and maybe 5 or 6 people bought a Windows 98 Second
Edition UPGRADE (to upgrade from an earlier version of Windows).  Most
people I speak to would be most likely to dump an old PC and buy a new
one from Dell or PC World than go through the hassle of upgrading
hardware to run Vista and then pay for a retail boxed Vista upgrade.

Saying that, I certainly think we should be trying to reach those people
who are willing to dump their PCs.  Installing Linux could well save
them a few quid on a new PC and give an older PC a new lease of life.

Rob