Re: [LUG] Static IPs was Re: OT: Switching to Eclipse

On 19/01/07, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > what do people use their static ips for? Other than web hosting?
>
> Standard ADSL sucks for webhosting (beyond trivial volumes), as it is
> highly asymmetrical in bandwidth provided. That said it is cheap if your
> machine is on anyway.

Definately and you also don't want to get your home box hacked because
you missed a PHP patch and find yourself totally compromised.

> Apart from getting home, to check for stuff I have at home, having a
> static address means I can use it for trivial authentication. Such as
> allowing SSH attempts from that IP address on machines I should be able
> to log into (if I'm away on a dynamic IP, I just login to the home PC
> and ssh out again).

Static IPs are frequently a pre-requisite for any kind VPN or ssh to
secure facilities - i.e. you won't even get a response from the
firewall unless you're IP is on the list - this is the case with
pretty much all my clients.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk