[LUG] Static IPs was Re: OT: Switching to Eclipse

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> what do people use their static ips for? Other than web hosting?

Standard ADSL sucks for webhosting (beyond trivial volumes), as it is
highly asymmetrical in bandwidth provided. That said it is cheap if your
machine is on anyway.

Apart from getting home, to check for stuff I have at home, having a
static address means I can use it for trivial authentication. Such as
allowing SSH attempts from that IP address on machines I should be able
to log into (if I'm away on a dynamic IP, I just login to the home PC
and ssh out again).

Saves exposing SSH to the public and the zillions of attempts to guess
passwords. Of course my home machine has to accept SSH from anywhere - eek.

But similarly other services can be restricted to "allowed from home",
not sufficient for authentication, but a reasonable first filter.