Re: [LUG] Simple Script Problem

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 10:23:54AM +0000, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks Steve. I have tried removing   #!/bin/sh, and it seems to have made no
> difference at all?

Peter,
When you run a script or program from the shell it starts a new process

This new process has a copy of the environment from the shell that it
was started from, including the directory.  But if the new process
changes directory this will not be reflected in the shell you launched
from in the first place.  When the new process stops the changes to the
environment it had are lost.

Removing the #!/bin/sh ( the bang line ) does not stop this fundamental
mode of operation

--
Jamie