Re: [LUG] building myself a PVR

On 16/01/07 11:34:22, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Our cheap 30 quid freeview box has died and I'm looking at spending
> maybe a couple of hundred quid building or buying a PVR - the problem
> is that the affordable ones, tend to be short of features and space,
> and even the expensive ones lack a lot of what knoppmyth could offer
> on a relatively low end PC.
>
> So has anybody else built themselves one?

Yes

> Also what kind of money do you think I'd need to spend to assemble a
> cheap system - given you can buy a new desktop system for about 300
> quid, about the price of high-end PVR's you would still need to get
> two decent linux-friendly Digital TV cards.

Good question... Don't know!  Like many others I built it up out of
bits and it has been upgraded of the time I have had it.

We have two analogue pvr cards and 1 DVB-S card.
We can record 3 chans and watch two (we also have a mediamvp).

We don't tend to watch live TV as we have loads of ariel sockets
(except if it is on satellite).

Works well have not used a VCR for over a year now.

With the addition of a squeeze box, all of the old equipment has goe to
the loft. (cd/tape/tuner/2xVCR)
We still have the DVD, but have not used that for about 9 months, since
I got xine/ac3 working.

We have a cellar under our lounge so that server room is in there and I
routed all the wires through the floor, so we don't have a PC in the
lounge.
I use one of those IR keyboards, with a nipple mouse to control it if I
need a keyboard.

I think it is brill!!!

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\