Re: [LUG] guidance please

John Palmer wrote:
> I am coming to grips, belatedly, with video playing in Linux.
>
> Kaffeine reports "no URI handler implemented for "rtsp://..."
>
> (1) Does this mean that kaffeine is entirely unable to use RTSP protocol?
> (Same for totem or xine?)
>
> (2a) If so, what other program should I use to play RTSP videos?
> (2b) Else, what do I need to do to kaffeine?
>
> (On Kubuntu)
>
> Thanks in advance,
It means that Kaffeine can't find anything to interpret the RTSP
protocol. The only thing that I can think of that will play things over
an RTSP protocol without "extra" packages, is RealPlayer. You could try
installing the "livemedia" packages. This used to be called "Live.com",
but that was subsequently acquired for/by Microsoft. You will most
likely need to install the w32codecs package(s) too, as mentioned in
other replies.

The w32codecs package(s) will allow you to play RealMedia files, but it
doesn't handle RTSP streaming. The Livemedia package(s) allow you to
handle RTSP streaming, but doesn't present any way to interpret the
incoming data format. So, you will most likely need to install both.

--Grant.