Re: [LUG] Dynamic DNS?

Its worth noting how DNS resolution works.
You send a request to your 'local' DNS provider and if it doesn't have the
info it goes 'upstream' until it finds it.
When it gets the info there is normally a timeout associated with it and the
DNS servers hold that info until it timesout.

If the timeout is set quite to practically 0 - as it would need to be for DDNS
then your site can look slow as the dns has to be resolved every time -
possibly for every image on a page.
If you 'upload' your IP every n seconds  and use a redirect then in theory you
can be off air for n seconds as people try and use your old IP.

I think the DDNS people us a bit of software that is triggered by an IP change
on the PC to update their records so your only off air for the time it takes
your machine to notice its IP has changed and upload the info - quick but not
instantaneous.  And if your behind a firewall/proxy/router then it had better
be supported!

My IP hasn't changed in the 10 months I've been here but I've known them to
change several times in day.

If you can get a fixed IP then that is by far the best route - much easier to
debug when things go wrong.
And don't host (serious) session based web sites using DDNS - IP changes will
destroy a session.
Tom te tom te tom