Re: [LUG] OT: Palm TV guide software

Quoting Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Sun,  7 Jan 2007 20:05:52 +0000
> Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Now I have got one of the Palms to work as a TV remote so it can
>> control the various boxes connected to the TV.
>
> Which applet? Somehow I doubt it's open source. Each applet has it's
> own data storage constraints and just because you can upload to one
> does not mean you can read data in any other. You need the source code.

I can't remember off the top of my head, it was one that was bundled on
a CD with the Palm.  (I bought two Palms second hand).

>> I thought it would be great if there was a way of downloading a TV
>> guide from the internet onto my Palm (using a serial connection to the
>> MythTV box).  I was wondering if anyone knows of such an appication?
>
> It all depends on which applet on the Palm is meant to receive the TV
> guide. How do you propose to view the guide on the Palm? There is
> support for Calendar, Contacts, ToDo, Memos and a few others but if you
> want an upload to a different applet then you are out of luck - the
> database format would have to be reverse engineered.
>
> There is the possibility of writing your own open source software for
> the Palm but it's not trivial.
>
> About the only thing you could do is upload the TV guide as plain text
> into the Memos applet. pilot-link can do that for you.

Ahh I see.  I think I'll investigate MythTV's TV guide a bit further
then.  I have managed to get MythTV installed now although due to the
lack of a TV signal it won't do much as of yet.  Still it is promising.

Rob