Re: [LUG] PDF's and the paperless office - well NVU really

On 10/01/07, Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 10 January 2007 20:36, Ben Goodger wrote:
> On 10/01/07, John Palmer <johnp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > What I always ask about these wysiwyg html editors is --- do they
> > generate HTML (or CSS) that passes the W3C validator ?
>
> I believe that Nvu does while Frontpage and Dreamweaver don't. However, NVU
> likely doesn't generate very nice code...
Actually the code is all good - no errors through Tidy (Firefox addin) which
is the W3C one really.

I didn't say it wasn't valid. I said it wasn't very nice. That code probably consists of more tags than it needs to, for instance.

Like I said - it doesn't seem to have that attitude
problem almost all other editors (not FCKeditor) seem to have.
It doesn't yet do CSS but you writing valid css is easy - its getting it to
work in the same way in FF and IE  that can be a pain. I edit the source to
use a css file and then use the Firefox CSS editor to 'get it right'.  If IE
fails to display it properly then I put in a bit of JS that asks IE users to
get a proper browser.
But seriously if your trying to write something that you're finding difficult
to get to display correctly in FF/Mozilla and IE then your only making life
hard for yourself. If its hard for you to write its probably hard for the
client/customer/audience to understand and almost certainly breaks
accessability rules. And, unless you're writing Microsoft Interfacing specs
to avoid large fines, you want to be understood don't you?

Heh, yes. Problem is that $MANAGER uses IE and so when he sees your site he will reject it. You will then need to spend around twice the time you've spent already on either making a transparent IE-only version (yay for apache) or applying nonsensical hacks until the code works (although it's twice the size.)

--
Ben Goodger
#391382