Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux (2)

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 06:22:05PM -0000, George Parker wrote:

> So what would the Windows man, the man on the Clapham Omnibus, have
> done by now?  Forked out in advance for his copy of Vista I suspect.
> The battle for the server is going very nicely thankyou but I suspect
> that the desktop user is back about where we were with Windows 3.

I have just moved from Windows to GNU / Linux, and I am not a techie. I
cannot program and I had hells own delight in moving from Windows to
Debian and I think Windows is a damn fine program. Things work. There is
a lot of software that will do what you want. Off the shelf and easy.

Why will I not go back: because windows only works if you want to work
the windows way.  It will not work the way I want it to work.

I do not want complication, I want simplicity and that has a cost in a
very steep learning curve. Yes I do not have all the software I want.
Yet. But when I get them and I learn how to use them then I feel they
will be more reliable.

And when my partner / friends curse and swear because they have a
problem with upgrading, with virus's, with spyware, with activation,
with Microsoft office that does not do what they want it to do.... I
grin, recommend an opensource alternative, and carry on working.

I do not think GNU / Linux is for everybody (although with eg ubuntu it
comes close). I do think that GNU/ Linux is for people who are prepared
to take a bit more care and in particular I think it ready for most
offices.

Taking windows vista and MS office is the easy option, and in some cases
it might be the best option. But not in my opinion in most cases.

--
Henry
Sat Jan  6 12:07:07 GMT 2007