Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux

David Johnson wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 13:20, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>
>> First of all I made the Num Lock turn on at log on. The default to have
>> it off seems odd to me.
>>

> Laptops tend to have numbers on letter keys, such that when the number lock is
> on those keys produce numbers instead of letters. Damm confusing if it gets
> turned on without you realising!

On a laptop I use the top row for numerical input.  I think Linux is
likely to be installed on more desktops than laptops though, so surely
the default should be to suit the majority?  I may be wrong but that's
MHO :)
> Most BIOSes have the option to turn number lock on/off at boot time, so Ubuntu
> is probably right to leave it alone (unless it is turning it off even if the
> BIOS turns it on, in which case you are right).

My BIOS has NumLock set to On but Xandros turns it off by default, so I
wouldn't be surprised if Kubuntu did as well.
>> I could not see any files in the root folder so, with help from the
>> group, I sorted that out.
>>

> I guess this is just imitating Windows and hiding things the typical user
> doesn't need to see. It should certainly be easier to disable that 'feature'.

Why not have a system that disables the feature (to hide root files)
when logged in as root, but hide them when logged in as a normal user?
That would make sense to me.
> Most people won't have the problem. I'm not sure why you did, possibly
> something relating to your router or ISP.

Likely to be true but it's still a problem hat doesn't need to be there.
> Kubuntu should just work with such things; you should report that as a bug
> (not that they actually fix bugs very often, but at least the problem will be
> noted somewhere).

I would never have a desktop without a floppy drive (usually
self-build), so that would irritate the hell out of me.
> Windows XP and Vista default to having no icons on the desktop... I guess it's
> just down the personal preference.

Actually no, my Dad's XP Home and both my XP Pro machines all defaulted
to having icons on the desktop.  My Computer, My Network Places, My
Documents for example.  (Just thinking - why call them 'My' anything?
It's hardly likely to be 'Uncle Wilf's Documents' is it?).

Kind regards,

Julian