Re: [LUG] Newcomers to Linux

On Friday 05 January 2007 13:20, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> First of all I made the Num Lock turn on at log on. The default to have
> it off seems odd to me.

Laptops tend to have numbers on letter keys, such that when the number lock is
on those keys produce numbers instead of letters. Damm confusing if it gets
turned on without you realising!

Most BIOSes have the option to turn number lock on/off at boot time, so Ubuntu
is probably right to leave it alone (unless it is turning it off even if the
BIOS turns it on, in which case you are right).

> I could not see any files in the root folder so, with help from the
> group, I sorted that out.

I guess this is just imitating Windows and hiding things the typical user
doesn't need to see. It should certainly be easier to disable that 'feature'.

> I had some problems with my browsers (Firefox and Galeon)  Again with
> help I traced this to having IPv6  enabled. With help from the group I
> disabled it and all is now well. New users could find this rather
> obscure and difficult to sort out.

Most people won't have the problem. I'm not sure why you did, possibly
something relating to your router or ISP.

> I had a floppy drive in my new computer (I know, but it was there) and
> it took a while and quite a lot of help from the group to get it
> working.

Kubuntu should just work with such things; you should report that as a bug
(not that they actually fix bugs very often, but at least the problem will be
noted somewhere).

> There were no icons on the desktop at all. OK, some people like to work
> that way. I suggest that those new to Linux will want and expect  to
> find some icons already there. I have added a few for myself (26 in
> fact). They were fairly easy to set up except for Home. I had to be
> pointed in the right place for that one.

Windows XP and Vista default to having no icons on the desktop... I guess it's
just down the personal preference.

Regards,
David.

--