Re: [LUG] Removable devices help

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:09:36 +0000
Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Whats the best way of handling removable (scsi/bulk usb) devices.
> What I mean is that i have a handful of USB sticks, Card readers, MP3
> players and removable hard drives that when connected may appear as
> anything from /dev/sda to /dev/sdf (possibly more but that is the
> range i tend to see), i think on all the devices i always
> mount /dev/sd?1 as well as they only have one partition.

I thought specific USB ports had specific ID's - maybe that gets
confused if you are using an external USB hub but try connecting the
device to each available port in turn and checking the device
allocation. I'm not sure if this is 'policy' or a standard though.

If that isn't how it works on i386, it would seem to be how it works on
powerpc so therein lies yet another problem.

> How can i manage these devices at a higher level, i assume hotplug or
> udev etc is the thing to be looking at here? Is it possible that I can
> when i spot a specific USB ID have the device appear as /dev/mp3player

If the port does determine the device allocation, it may have to be a
case of labelling the USB port and using a symlink to the device.

Windows handles this by writing an autoplay file to the device storage
containing an identifier. That's another option that would get around
the first problem but then the symlink would need to be adjusted upon
determination of the ID.

--

Neil Williams