Re: [LUG] Removable devices help

Neil Williams wrote:

> Windows handles this by writing an autoplay file to the device storage
> containing an identifier.

I believe Gnome picks up on the volume label for FAT file systems. I'm
guessing this works with some other filesystems, as quite a lot of
filesystems carry some sort of label.

So one might want to make sure any such filesystems have descriptive
labels, most can have them added in a non-destructive fashion after
creation.

I've seen some stuff on how to persuade devices to mount with the same
mount point after the first time, if that is useful I'll try and find it
again. Although more complex stuff might be done with a script as
hotplug can trigger a script when something is plugged in, and one could
just remove the standard automounting and do one's own thing
(filesystems - who need em ;-).