Re: [LUG] [Fwd: $100 laptop project eyes launch]

Aaron Trevena wrote:

>On 02/01/07, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:12, Julian Hall wrote:
>>

>>>One in the eye for Gates, and great PR for the open source community.
>>>

>>Not really. They added a card reader to the laptop specifically so that
>>Microsoft could get it to run Windows, thus increasing the production cost
>>per unit without regard for the fact that it means the third-world will be
>>getting fewer laptops for their money.
>>
>>http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2170209/microsoft-looking-windows-olpc
>>

>On the other hand, ignoring windows, it could make them more useful
>and therefore more popular and helpful.
>
>512MB total storage does seem rather a little, I have linux virtual
>servers in 2 or 4GB of space, so that extra space would allow a full
>development environment, more applications, more data, etc.
>
>Not being able to extend the resources of the laptop would seem short
>sighted, but it depends if the goal is to get a child started, doing
>basics on a computer for a couple of years and then hand it back so
>somebody else can use it, or if it's to really empower them to learn
>programming and invest in learning useful skills.
>
>A.

Its missing the point .... The "product" of the OLPC project is not a
Laptop (sure it has an L in it but dont be decieved), its a shared
collaborative learning environment focused on social networking /
learning skills, not another learn (office products) by route machine.
For example its not a machine you would learn to use MS Paint, rather
its a machine where several students can share the experience of
interactively drawing a picture at the same time from different devices
possibly on totally different continents, now theres an idea for
creating cohesion among the nations.

What OLPC project is trying to show us is an alternative to the tired
objects and applications that make up the average desktop (proprietary
or free) these days and show us a path to streamlined collaborative
learning and working environments using very modest processing power
(heck there are PDA out there with higher specs than 366Mhz). The focus
of the software is to provide self contained packages that can be easily
deployed and quickly exploited by the target group (children), yes this
may well lead to duplicated functionality that would be better served by
libraries, but it removes dependancy hell from the equation and allows
teachers and students to get on with the job at hand education through
discovery "learning by doing" if you prefer.

I wish Microsoft every success in trying to get XP  (or some hybrid) to
run on it (366Mhz processor ?), but if they do manage to do it, what use
will it be to the average student using the "native" learning
environment ? I dont think the likes of word, excel or even open office
have a place on such a machine, its like using a hammer to "screw" in a
screw.

I do however agree with David, adding the SD card reader is a
distraction to the design team, a cost that will have to be shouldered
eventually by participating developing nation governments, an extra
drain on the limited power resources, and a free opportunity for
Microsoft to jump on the OLPC bandwaggon (after months of trying to
knock its wheels off). Amazingly Microsoft have found another way to
impose a "Microsoft Tax" on the poorer countries of our shattered planet
without having to lift a finger, or (as yet) contribute a single byte
of  (free) code. They will have to pay for the extra interface
regardless of whether or not they intend to use any MS "offerings" what
ever they might be.

There are other ways to expand the memory (eg via the usb ports),
without the need for an SD card reader, so Im not too keen on that
argument. Sure it may assist future OLPC projects but its not necessary
to them.

At the end of the day the sucess of this project hinges just as much on
cleaver software design as it does on quality budget hardware design and
manufacture. I wish the OLPC team every success and will continue to
watch its progress as I have since the WSIS conference in Tunisia.
Important choices have to be made throughout the design process, I just
pray that Microsoft's interference can be kept to a minimum.

Tom.