Re: [LUG] [Fwd: $100 laptop project eyes launch]

On 02/01/07, David Johnson <dj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 15:12, Julian Hall wrote:
> > One in the eye for Gates, and great PR for the open source community.
> >

> Not really. They added a card reader to the laptop specifically so that
> Microsoft could get it to run Windows, thus increasing the production cost
> per unit without regard for the fact that it means the third-world will be
> getting fewer laptops for their money.
>
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2170209/microsoft-looking-windows-olpc

On the other hand, ignoring windows, it could make them more useful
and therefore more popular and helpful.

512MB total storage does seem rather a little, I have linux virtual
servers in 2 or 4GB of space, so that extra space would allow a full
development environment, more applications, more data, etc.

Not being able to extend the resources of the laptop would seem short
sighted, but it depends if the goal is to get a child started, doing
basics on a computer for a couple of years and then hand it back so
somebody else can use it, or if it's to really empower them to learn
programming and invest in learning useful skills.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk