Re: [LUG] Website Development

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 11:09:33 +0000
Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wooh, Web apps the future?
>
> On 2006-12-29T10:36+0000 Neil Williams wrote:
> > The web is NOT ever present, just because it is so prevalent in this
> > country does not mean it can be assumed to be present or usable in
> > other countries. Free software is international, by it's very nature,
> > and *cannot* require that internet access is always available.
>
> Has anyone seen Google's desktop search under win32?
>
> It runs a little local Web server to provide the service. So, an offline
> Web application. I hope to see more of these and writing some of my own.
>
> Best wishes,

That's the kind of thing - the two models working together, not one
trying to replace the other. Microsoft made the mistake of neglecting
the internet in preference for the desktop and some people want to go
to the opposite extreme, replacing the desktop with the internet.
Either position is too extreme to be workable. Applications can neither
ignore the internet nor assume that all users have internet access.

This is particularly relevant with embedded devices - the fanciful
ideas of your fridge reordering your groceries as you use them is one
thing, the fridge forgetting that it is a fridge because your ADSL line
is down is quite another!
:-)

--

Neil Williams