Re: [LUG] Website Development

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:07:43 +0000
"Richard Brown" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am currently looking at the future of computing and provision of
> online services. I do believe there will come a time where maybe we
> see servers pwoering all our apps. I wonder if there is where Linux
> will really come into its own. Instead of seeing the desktop as the
> Holy Grail maybe to see web apps as the future.

This is a forlorn hope, already dead in the water. Neither solution is
correct, both need to be implemented. Users need local applications for
certain tasks. Web applications need to be significantly improved to
even become usable for the currently limited number of suitable tasks.
Certainly look to improve web-based systems but the idea that these
could ever replace local applications in their entirety is ridiculous.

If there is a web version of a locally installed application, I will
use the local application every time.

The web is NOT ever present, just because it is so prevalent in this
country does not mean it can be assumed to be present or usable in
other countries. Free software is international, by it's very nature,
and *cannot* require that internet access is always available.

It's bad enough that people need internet access to update their
locally installed packages - Ubuntu have made a lot of progress simply
by making this less critical.

> So welcoming the future in means a whole new road map for me. And it
> involves ecommerce, customer resource managers (crm) and accounting
> packages (erp).

Accounting packages should be local IMNSHO. Some data is just too
important to trust to the www. If you ever have the misfortune of being
the subject of a tax review, you will know just how important it is to
have LOCAL data. You must be able to authenticate the data - the taxman
will not accept the excuse that your internet connection was broken.
Your accounts are either ready on time or you get fined. Simple as that.

(Oh, and these are not £5 or £10 fines - these are £1,000 fines with 9%
interest added daily to the outstanding balance that itself may be
several thousands of pounds. i.e. these are PUNITIVE fines.)

> Ok so what I am wondering is whether any developers out there know of
> open source software that integrates and provides what I need. But
> also whether any web developers out there want to get together and
> collaberate on such a project?

Not me. You should be looking at:

1. WWW frontend.
2. internal audit trail to a recognised accounts package.

Automation is not foolproof. It needs to be supervised and managed.

--

Neil Williams