Re: [LUG] Website Development

Hi Richard,

You probably want to take a long look at salesforce.com's appforge or
whatever it's called - it starts with the salesforce.com CRM and
allows 3rd party developers to develop and sell components (which can
be added to the bill) through the salesforce web app.

Apparently it's very successful.

Other suggestions are looking at 3rd party extension providers for
SugarCRM which do something similar but open source.

Both are a lot less ambitious, I'm afraid.

Something else to think about is that one-size-fit's all e-commerce
doesn't really work - the closest real solution is Venda, they provide
hosted e-commerce and manage it and customise it - I think that is
much more the way to go.

There are a lot of supposed e-commerce suites out there, but I've yet
to hear of one that didn't suck badly, and more importantly the
problem differs so much between sites that trying to bodge every
ecommerce site to use the same tool is a bad idea.

I've worked on and implemented scores of ecommerce sites, from very
simple to high street names and I'd say that none were really alike,
and that's ignoring SOP and stock integration, etc.

Sorry to join the naysayers.

Cheers,

A.

--