[LUG] CUPS, LPR, Network printers

Hello everyone.

I have a Brother DCP-340CW. It's one of these printer/scanner combo
things which can use USB or network connections. I am using the network.
  I got the drivers from Brother, but they've made a right mess of them
because like most drivers made by the hardware manufacturers they only
have RPMs and Debian packages, with overly complicated install scripts
(essentially, it's supposed to just copy some scripts, but for some
reason they wrote a csh script which echos the scripts to their
respective locations).

This would probably be fine if my printer supported postscript, but
since it doesn't I have to use their CUPS wrapper. Printing has always
seemed to be a bit of a black art to me. Most Linux config requires
setting some things in a config file, but for some reason printing has a
mess of GUI's, web interfaces and config files. I suppose this is what
happens if you try to make things "user friendly".

I used the CUPS web interface (the thing on http://localhost:631) and I
think I've got it all installed properly, but when I tell it to print a
test page it complains that the quote limit has been reached.

I'm not sure about permissions and groups, so I think that's probably
the problem. I've added root and various other users to the lp group,
but that hasn't helped. Hopefully someone who knows something about
printing can tell me what groups people need to be in and what
permissions the files need to have. /var/spool/cups is root:lp and 710,
which seems a little wierd- is that right?

If anyone knows anything about IPP or LPR I would like to be able to
bypass CUPS and cat or telnet something directly to the printer for
testing purposes. Also, it doesn't help that I have no idea what URI to
use. Brother say to use lpd://192.168.38.3/binary_p1, but their
instructions are for all their printers, and a site specifically
discussing my model says to just use lpd://192.168.38.3/.

And I haven't even tried to get samba to share it yet!

Ironically, the scanner part works fairly well- a network scanner which
works in Linux!

Thanks in advance
Simon