Re: [LUG] Generic plea for installation help (Gentoo & Ubuntu)

Ben Goodger wrote:
> Hello
>
> I appear, as usual, to have completely fecked my Gentoo installation. If
> anyone can give me some help with it in a few days that'd be lovely - it
> concerns X and such...
> Also, I am becoming increasingly frustrated with Ubuntu. The
> partitioners on
> the "desktop" discs (x86) for Dapper, Edgy and Feisty both show only empty
> space on sda, although the fstab-gui bit shows all my partitions.
> Unfortunately, whatever I try, I am then told "no root filesystem" when
> installing. In Feisty's "alternate" (i.e. non-patronising installer)
> version, this happens also (I lack alternate discs for Edgy or Dapper.) So
> how do I fix my partition table so that gparted can see it? I presume this
> is the cause of the problem...
>
> Happy Patronisingly-Secular Winter Festival Time!!!
> or, Merry Christmas!

Suggest you use Knoppix to fix partition tables and partitions and then
reinstall.

--

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and may not be authentic. If
you have any doubts as to the contents please telephone to confirm.