[LUG] Forcibly unmount network filesystems

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I mounted one of my server's samba shares on my laptop using
smb4k. Both run Linux if that makes any difference.

Later that evening I put my laptop to sleep (suspend-to-RAM). This
morning the power went out, bringing my server down with it. When I
later woke my laptop up, smb4k reported that the share had "gone
offline", which was to be expected. However, it refused to unmount or
remount the share. 'umount [share]' hangs, as does 'smbumount [share]'.
smbumount does not appear to have a 'force' option, and complains if
umount -f is used. lsof hangs for a while, before giving:

lsof: WARNING: can't stat() smbfs file system
/home/zaneta/smb4k/PROXIMA/family
       Output information may be incomplete.

So how do I get rid of this stale mount?

I had a similar problem with NFS a while back.

This comes second on my list of major Linux usability problems- why oh
why oh why can't I tell it to just disconnect a network filesystem
without trying to contact the server about it?

Thanks
Simon